Welcome to VGTM UDA
Vijayawada is a flourishing town of great historic importance. It was one of the important cities early in the Christian era, and was the religious centre for the kingdom of Vengi. Quite a number of antiquities found in and around Vijayawada confirm the city's existence since ages. The Epic of Mahabharata refers to Indrakiladri hills as the place where Arjuna secured "Pasupathastra" from Lord Siva. This historical town has originated on the northern bank of the river Krishna and, by 1855 AD the town was in the form of small settlement on the eastern side of the Indrakiladri hills
The growth of the town picked up momentum after the construction of a barrage and three irrigation canals namely Eluru, Ryves and Bandar canals in 1855 and, the rail bridge over the river Krishna in 1892. The city experienced a modest growth in the pre-independence era; however, after independence the construction of road bridge over the river Krishna, establishment of South-Central Railway terminal, setting up of divisional headquarters, major government offices including district court, major institutions for higher education, major commercial and distributive trading activities, wholesale establishments, agricultural marketing centre and Jawahar auto nagar industrial estate have brought a tremendous effect on the city's growth.
Vijayawada, the third largest city in the state of Andhra Pradesh after Hyderabad and Visakhapatnam, also it is one of the important commercial and transport centres of the state. The city happened to be the headquarters of the taluk for a long time and acted as a point of centrality to many of the districts of the state. Over years the city has grown as a major economic, cultural and administrative nerve centre of coastal Andhra due to its nodal location as an important railway junction of and, also because of National Highway-5 and National Highway-9 traversing the city. The city also has a few places of historic importance. The city is situated at the foot of a low range hills on the northern bank of the river Krishna with its cardinal points as 16° 31' North latitude and 80° 37' East longitude, around 70 km away from the coast.
Vijayawada Municipality was set up in the year 1888 with an administrative area of around 30 sq km. The Municipality was upgraded to a selection grade in 1960s and further to a Corporation satus in the year 1981. The Vijayawada Municipal Corporation was spread out over an area of 29.4 sq km. The city zonal development Plan Area presently covers extended areas namely Bhavanipuram, Patamata, Payakapuram, Gun.adala and Kundavari Kandrika also. As per the revenue records, the extent of the present municipal area is 61.88 sq km.The governing body of the Corporation includes elected corporation council members headed by a Mayor for a period of 5 years. For administrative purpose, the Corporation area was earlier divided into 3 Circles and 50 wards. Each ward of the Municipal Corporation is represented by an area corporator. The general administration is under the control of the Commissioner of the Corporation who is assisted by an Assistant Commissioner, Superintending Engineer, City Planner, and Public Health Officer with a host of other officers
Guntur, one of the largest urban centers of Andhra Pradesh is located 272km southeast of Hyderabad, the state capital. Geographically, Guntur lies on 800, 28' latitude and 160, 28' longitude. It is well connected by road and rail to all major cities of southern India. The city is reputed to be a renowned education center. In addition, Guntur boasts one of the largest centers of chilly and tobacco trade in this region. With a population of about 5.12 lakh, it is one of the fastest growing towns of Andhra Pradesh. Since its up-gradation as Corporation in 1994, Guntur Municipal Corporation (GMC) is focused on making Guntur a modern city. The city comprises Guntur city, and two rural settlements Koritipadu and Pedakakani and part of a surrounding villages as delineated by VGTM Urban Development Authority for proposes of planned development on a area approach. The city covers 45.71 sqkm area and the zone 53.72 sqkm area.
Historically, Guntur was part of Satavahana Kingdom from 225 BC to 225 AD. Subsequently, the region came under the rule of various such as the Pallavas, Ikshawakus, Cholas, and Eastern Chalukyas. The town whose name literally means 'Tank Village' became prominent during French occupation in the 17th century. The French held Kondaveedu from 1732 and built a fort east of old Guntur, but it was given up to the English in 1788.
Guntur was made a municipality in 1866 and the first elected body was constituted in 1881. It was upgraded as a Corporation in 1994 under the Andhra Pradesh Municipal Corporation Act 1984 with the existing municipal limits.
1866 Constituted into Municipality with a Population of about 25,000. 1891 Upgraded from III Grade to II Grade 1917 Upgraded from II Grade to I Grade 1952 Upgraded from I Grade to Special Grade 1960 Upgraded from Special Grade to Selection Grade 1994 Upgraded to Municipal Corporation from Selection Grade Municipality 1995 First Election of Municipal Corporation was held
Tenali Town is a flourishing town of great historic importance. The relics from the excavations of the Archeology Society of India in Tenali vicinity indicate that it has the roots of Jainism and Buddhism. The Archeological monuments revealed that the village 'Teravali' gradually became Tenali and it is also reputed for devotees, intellectuals, orators, artists and educationalists from ancient days. The earliest accounts of the Country tell that this region formed part of the famous kingdom of "Andhra-Satavahana" Dynasty from 225 B.C. to 225 A.D. Subsequently the region was under the rule of the various dynasties for various periods. As known as a center of an oriental learning, Tenali is the home of many outstanding scholars. It is the birth place of Sri Garlapati Ramalingam known popularly as Tenali Ramakrishna one of 8 poets who adorned the court of Sri Krishna Devaraya of Vijayanagar. Tenali has also established for itself a unique place in the field of dramaties and fine arts. The Krishna main canal (Nizampatnam canal) along with two parallel irrigation canals passes through this town. Construction of canals and dams in Tenali Taluk by Captain Alexander Orr in 1890 gave a boost to irrigation in the region with the sizable population, commercial, educational and social importance, Tenali has acquired a great name in this part of the country.
Tenali is the third largest urban cluster in the VGTM-UDA region after Vijayawada and Guntur City. It is one of the important commercial and transport centres of the region. The town is the head quarters of the Tenali Taluk .Over years the town has grown as a major economic, cultural and administrative nerve centre of the region. Tenali town is situated at northern latitude of 16o–15' and eastern longitude of 80o–35' and is 9.8m above the Mean Sea Level.
Tenali, once hailed, as "Andhra Paris" is one of the oldest municipalities formed in 1909, located about 30 km from Bay of Bengal. Tenali municipality is special grade municipality, spread over an area of 15.11 sq. km. Tenali is divisional head quarter's mandal and revenue division. The mandal was formed on 25th may 1985 with an area of 131.82 sq. KMs. There are 13 revenue villages and 18 gram Panchayats and one municipality (Tenali, Pinapadu and Chinaravuru) in Tenali mandal. Tenali is given the status of "Special Grade Municipality" in 1965 and comprises of 36 Election wards. In general, Chairperson will be elected by direct elections and he will act as per the powers and functions given in section 47 to 52 of A P M Act 1965. Every ward is represented by a councilor. The General administration is under the control of Municipal Commissioner who is assisted by Municipal Manager, Municipal Engineer, and Town planning officer, and Public Health Officer with a host of other officers. The Municipal Council as on 2003 was elected in February, 2000 and is the authority of the Municipality for 5 years from the date of Election. Out of 36 Ward members there are 25 Male members and 11 Female members. The area of the Municipality has increased from 7.98 sq. km in 1981 to about 15.11 sq. km in 1991 as per record and 17.01 sq.km as interpreted from satellite imageries. The municipal administrative area comprises 36 electoral wards. In the context of Perspective Planning, the zone is divided into 22 planning wards.
Future Vision of the Urban Zone: "A growth point with increasing dominance of medium and small scale secondary sector activities using regional raw materials, To attain pollution free, congenial, serene Tenali Town with optimum vegetation and rendering responsible, accountable, incorruptible administration with strategic reforms". The paramount concern is poverty reduction through mutually cooperative and coordinated efforts of elected representatives, public servants, residents and other higher officials heading forward to halcyon days in "Andhra Paris". The Infrastructural developmental works includes: a. New roads, construction of flyover, bridges and bypass roads to reduce the traffic problems. b. Increasing water supply distribution pipeline network to provide better water facilities c. Improvement in the drainage system and treatment plants. d. Developing a clean and green zone, with the allocation of large parks and tourist spots. e. Establishment of training and marketing centres for Industrial, cottage and handicrafts oriented products. Towards this end, this perspective plan, as an elaborated version of a typical zonal development, will provide much needed impetus to accomplish the vision for the future of the zone.
Mangalagiri Zone is at a distance of 11kms from the Vijayawada city and 19kms from Guntur, which is also connected by the Vijayawada-Guntur broad gauge line. The Mangalagiri zone is bounded by Tadepalle zone on the northern side, Kaza zone on the southern side, Paddavadlapudi zone on the eastern side and Mandadam zone on the western side. The Zone consists of an urban area – Mangalagiri Town and two revenue Villages – Nowluru and Atmakuru. The Zone is situated in between 16° 15' (N) and longitude of 80° 37' (E) and 16° 54' (N) and longitude of 80° 57' (E). It extends over an area of 40.97 sq.km and accounts for 2.45% of total area of the VGTM-Urban region. According to 2001 Census, the total population o f the zone was 86786, which is 3.49% of the total population of the VGTM-UDA region